Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday Roast

A month or so ago, I decided to give roasting my own coffee a try. Two things are for sure. One, it is not convenient. Two, it is fun.

How'd it happen? I did some research on a great website called Sweet Maria's. They have a LOT of great info and videos.

Next, I bought a used air popcorn popoer for $2 from a thrift store.

you want one without a mesh bottom.
Then I went to a local coffee roasting shop and convinced the owner to sell me 5 pounds of un-roasted columbian beans. They were good to me at Norfolk Tea and Coffee.

Then it is a matter of just roasting some beans. Letting them sit over night, grinding, brewing, and drinking.

Mmmm...

green

roasted
 It will take some time to get through this 5 lb bag, but when I do, I'm excited to try some different types of beans. I think whole foods sells green beans. We'll see how it goes. If you are interested in trying to roast your own beans, I'd say give it a try. It is, honestly, pretty easy. Just like fly fishing, you can make it as complicated or simple as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment