Friday, October 31, 2014

Painting a Brook Trout

Ive been inspired to paint a couple more images lately due to a recent inquiry from a fishing busy who has interests in fish designs and art. There was quiet a bit of talk about a brook trout print. As I've given away both of my previous attempts, I had the opportunity to work on another one from scratch. 

I looked at lots of photos online and ended up with inspiration from several sources. I thought I would show you some of the layers and steps to the paintings. 

You start with a blank canvas and a cool beer. 




I lay down some textured base colors. In this case I think I used too much yellow. 


I like layering the oranges and reds over the yellow. 



Then it is time to craft some spot. 


Nearly finished. Still looking w bit yellow. 


Done! I darkened up the yellow belly a bit to give her that slightly dirty look, but even that is overshadowed by the autumn tummy. 




Well, thanks for walking through that with me. Have a Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. When layering the base, do you use a pretty dry brush? Are your strokes all in one direction; up, down, or both?

    ReplyDelete