Sunday, July 17, 2011

Summer Traditions

The OBN posted another writing prompt last week. This time it was regarding summer traditions.

There is a reason (other than being too busy) why I didn't come up with something right away. I figured 4th of July fireworks were game for traditions, but I wanted to think of something a little more unique to me and my summer.

Talking with Sara tonight brought a few ideas to the surface. She came home from the store with a big bag of bing cherries. "Once a year!" she exclaimed.


Sweet and delicious. Split the body with your teeth simultaneously pulling out the stem, tonguing the pit and spit it into the trash.

So I decided to give it another shot. What are my traditions? Until this year, it has been tradition to take time to relax at my parent's cabin in northwest of Minneapolis, MN. We make food, swim on the lake, fish on the boat and off the dock, eat dinner in the screened in porch, play bocce ball, and play card games. It is a wonderful time spent with family and friends.

For the last few years, the Harry Potter books/movies have been released in July, coincidentally my birthday month. Since I LOVE the Harry Potter stories, that makes for a spectacular b-day month. Though, after we see Daniel Radcliff vanquish the Dark Lord on the big screen this week it will be the last time for this tradition.

Put a shirt on, Harry. 
The other tradition Sara and I have has to do with music. Back when we lived in the Twin Cities area, I wrote Sara a song on guitar called "I Love July." It slowly became "our song" and I even played it at our wedding. Now, I tend to play it only once or twice a year, but it is always done in July. It makes the month a little extra special. You can listen to the song here. I don't really use myspace anymore. It was fun for a bit, but now just inconvenient. Enjoy the flat sounds of my nasally voice and poorly strummed guitar :)

Anyway, have a happy summer and enjoy your traditions!

Oh yeah, and if you haven't seen it yet, Owl Jones is keeping everybody up to date with his pilgrimage to the West and it is about to get really good. I can tell. Stop over and take a look.

5 comments:

  1. Cherries. Definitely cherries. I agree with your wife "once a year"!!! Oh yes, and watermelon.....lots of watermelon. :) Thanks for linking to "I Love July"...I loved it. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohh, yes, watermelon. I agree. juicy, sloppy, watermelon. And sweet corn. Roll it in the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. mmmmmm..I can't believe I forgot those :) Thanks for the riminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have that Minnesota tradition in common...even down to the bocce ball. Always fun to be at the lakes.

    I almost did a spit take when I saw the caption under your Harry picture...so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it! gotta love the bocce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel Radcliffe Weird Gift's Fear !!

    http://world-news-trend.blogspot.com/2011/08/daniel-radcliffe-weird-gifts-fear.html

    ReplyDelete