Wednesday, November 2, 2011

E-zines and Poems.

Several online magazines, or "e-zines," came to my mailbox inbox this week.

First we have the inaugural issue of Southern Culture on the Fly. It is a well done e-zine, and if you look closely, you might see some contributors you recognize. Pretty darn awesome. A nice video of carp fishing, an article on the Appalachian Brookie, and much more.


Next we have the a fun journal about the fly fishing, hunting, and related art of Argentina, Chile, and Patagonia. The Patagonia Journal. There are some great photos here. You'll have South America on your wish list before you get to page 10.



Lastly, there is the always awesome Catch Magazine. Issue #20. Some great photo essays including Alaska and New Zealand. Let's just say this: After checking out the latest issue, I'm moving us to British Columbia... or Alaska... or New Zealand... or wherever it is those guys were fishing in the tropics... Hard to decide :)



Now for November's two-for-one poem post....


Lovely Things.

I went for a walk
Not expecting to catch a thing,
But hoping to understand the waters
I came away with a list of lovely things:

Spicy brown mustard and wasabi
The way you wiggle out of your jeans
Exploring new waters to fish
Epiphanies.

Peanut butter cookies, soggy with milk
You and the cat on the couches asleep
Retinas in stereo-vision
French press coffee.

Squeaky, warm, salty cheese curds
And drinking whey from the bag
Sliding the fish back into the water
Quiet at the end of the day.

Lying on the couch at my parents house,
with only the light coming form the Christmas tree
Breaking a sweat,
A cool, fresh breeze.

______

Skinny Love.

It was on the Pine Ridge Reservation
Of the Lakota Souix
While playing cards with the Jesuits
In an old Catholic school
Drinking root beer floats
When I first heard the song
"Skinny Love"
Performed by Bon Iver
And it echoed through
My marrow
And is moving me still


2 comments:

  1. Two for one! I feel like I got a deal! Good marketing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is the marketer... must be rubbing off on me. with these busy weeks, i want to make sure I post what i have when I can. hopefully some fishing pictures or video will come soon. I've found a new spot and have a pretty fun day trip planned in 1.5wks. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete