Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The "Day Off" Post: Zubaz and Fly Tying

First things first. Business.  I wanted to share a cool fly I discovered recently. I learned about "the Stimulator" (credit is given to Randall Kaufmann as the creator) in the April-May issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine. They featured and excerpt from the book The Orvis Guide to Essential American Flies by Tom Rosenbauer. I posted a picture of a few I tied here in a recent post. 


The Stimulator is a "match all" fly that can be fished in small mountain brookie streams, big Rocky Mtn rivers, and everywhere in between. The article states the fly, tied in many sizes, with variations in color and body, can effectively mimic stoneflies, caddis, grasshoppers, and even Hex mayflies.



*** If you want the tying recipe and/or instructions, I'm more than happy to send them along.

Now, the recipe calls for elk hair in this fly. I actually don't have any. What I do have is a wooden pallet with some deer hide glued to it. My now 92 year old grandpa sent me that in the mail.... He cut the hide off of a roadkill deer. The lesson I learned from my grandpa: Don't let anything go to waste. Awesome. 

The article does show a few variant options for the flies and it also gives a guide on what to look for in quality elk hair.


see the note at the top? don't worry, I remembered to email my mom. 
I am excited to put this fly to work some time soon.

Now, it is time to talk about something really, really important. As you may have noticed, the wife and I came up with a new logo this weekend. I really like it. I wanted a silhouette of a me (from a video screenshot. can you figure out which one?) with waders colored like water. The picture in my mind seemed so cool. But, since I lack the computer design skills, I was struggling to make the image a reality. I wanted it to be simple, sleek and recognizable, like Sander's Poudre Bulldog or Yuke's "YGF" or the T! or Owl's face (and owl)... So recognizable.

After several frustrating hours, the leaky waders man was born. I added the water ripple marks at his feet. Sara came up with the idea of the design for abstract water on the pants. I added the very very simple fly rod. And just like that, it was completed. My vision had been realized. As Morgan would say, "Boom!"

But that is not where the story ends. It picks up this morning when I was hit unexpectedly with a hilarious realization. My "Leaky Man" is wearing Zubaz

As you can see, there is not much difference here. Now, if I remember my 5th grade hockey tourney days correctly, Zubaz were great for wearing over shin pads, sleeping in, and playing shinny hockey in the hotel hallways. They were not great for keeping you dry.... Now that I think of it, they would be a nice base layer beneath some waders....



Now, I will admit, there was a sudden rush of fear, and even embarrassment. I just slow-pitched myself right over the plate for several wisecracks, not that I hadn't already by calling the logo  "the leaky man" (let the enlarged prostate jokes commence), but still. I admit, i worried for a second. 

Then I realized something. I'm in pretty good company with these Zubaz. Some pretty awesome people have been caught wearing these bad boys.  How about that Dan Marino, eh?  He's even bold enough to sport the Zubaz shorts. 



And then, of course, there is John Daly. Any time you can place yourself in the same category as that guy, you can pretty much assume you've reached the pinnacle of success..... Well, maybe....



But really, The Dude wears them.... This logo mishap can't be that bad. Can it?



Well, if you find yourself asking, "Where can I get a pair of these cool, cozy, dare-to-be-different pants? Surely they still don't sell these." You know what, they do still sell them, and you can find them here at the Zubaz website

I'm going to go right out there and say it, I support the Leaky Man and his right to sport the Zubaz. I may just have to pick myself up a pair, in blue, of course.

6 comments:

  1. You are definitely in good company with the Zubaz...if they're good enough for "The Dude" they're good enough for anyone. Funny you mentioned John Daly, when I got to Minnesota for college, our golf coach just signed a sponsorship deal with Zubaz for our clothing...although the designs were a far cry from the typical Zubaz attire you would have thought of. It was funny none-the-less...

    I haven't thought of shinny hockey in a long time, but remember it well. I can't remember a hotel between Fargo and Duluth that we didn't hijack a hallway during our weekend road trips...good stuff!

    Love the new logo, the Leaky Man looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome that your golf team signed a sponsorship with zubaz. just awesome. I may go out today fora quick 9 and try to muster up my best Daly, or hopefully Irish (Mcilroy).

      I made many trips up your way to Fargo/Moorhead for hockey. Who knows, maybe we played against each other :) Good old Rochester South.

      Delete
  2. The Stimulator is great classic pattern. I always have a few in my boxes.

    I had forgotten about Zubaz pants... blast from the past. Maybe you can get them to add some waders to their product line and sponsor MLW? Waders are always so boring in their drab khaki and olive tones. I definitely think we could use more options in wader fashion, and Zubaz waders would be pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha. wouldn't that be great? I'd be happy to sport some zubaz waders.... Now how do I approach the company with that idea?

      Delete
  3. I think your "Leaky Man" is destined for glory. I don't think I've seen a new logo this year that has so much personality (maybe TFM's Comrade design if anything). Maybe you should call him "LeakyWaderMan" though. You know, just to save yourself all the jokes for the next 40 years. :)

    Love the blog post. Love the fly. Love the pants. I remember one of our coaches in 11th grade football walking out to practice in a pair and he got laughed right back into the dressing room. He returned in his royal blue shorts and proceeded to make 63 young men do "belly flops" in the dirt for fifteen minutes. But we never saw those pants on him again. :) LOL Can I steal the Leaky Man and redo your badge on OJDC? Or you want to leave the one up that's there? Let me know. You're leaky wish is my command.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Leaky Waders Man" it is! You can absolutely steel the logo for your use. I actually had a moment of, i guess it was guilt, for changing it because I knew you worked hard on the previous one.

      I'm gonna have to get myself a pair of zubaz one of these days, just for fun.

      I'm going to listen to the show tonight. Looking forward to another olw jones live!

      Delete