Saturday, October 5, 2013

Painting Through Prosek: Steelhead

There are certain trout species that can't be ignored. I've never fished for steelhead, but I believe I understand their importance to the sport. For many anglers, there is nothing more exhilarating than feeling the tug of a running steelhead. 

As such, they are a fish of subtleties. Their patterns shift with their life cycles and age, but as exhibited by Prosek, a few well calculated strokes of with a watercolor brush can "get the gist." Still, the closer you look, the more you find each scale has its own personality. This is true with all fish, I suppose. 



I chose to use a "blotting" brush stroke in this case to add texture back into Prosek's image.  


I think I left the pink stripe a little too dorsal on the fish. 
I might add more black to the back to even it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment