Saturday, January 8, 2011

Am I Deserving? Am I Worthy?

Sir Owl Jones over at Fly Fishing the Southern Blue Ridge and the folks at Hook and Hackle have proposed a question: Why do I deserve to win a Hook and Hackle "Xi" 7'9" 4-piece 3 weight rod building kit?

Why do I deserve this? Am I really worthy? Worthy is a strong word in my book. I don't know how worthy Arthur felt as he approached the sword in the stone (Disney version, obviously. Sweet fish scene.).


I also don't know how worthy the Taco Bell Chihuahua felt when he was cast to say his famous words, "Yo quiero Taco Bell." (Chili Cheese Burrito? Why, yes. I'll have 4.)
I do know I am lucky enough to own 1 fly rod. It is a 10 year old 2-piece, 8'6" 5wt with a wooden handle and graphite shaft. I made it from a kit as a sophomore in high school. Has it caught me many fish, you ask? Well... many is very, very relative. But it is a beauty. It's special not only because it is my 1st fly rod, but also because I made it myself. That is one of the reasons I am am so excited with the possibility of updating my equipment with another rod I can make provided by Hook and Hackle.

There is one more reason, however, I would be happy to win this rod kit. My wife doesn't know this yet, but I am secretly trying to turn her into a fly fisher woman. It is a slow process of subliminal messages, compliments, and strategically placed encouragement. I know I couldn't keep the project a secret, but I could surprise her with the finished product, and possibly, find a new fly fishing buddy.

So, approaching this essay, my preverbal stone with a shining rod making kit buried deep within, I will now muster up all of my courage and use my best Chihuahua voice to say, "Yo quiero Hook and Hackle "Xi" rod-making kit." and find out if I am truly deserving, if I am truly worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment