Friday, February 4, 2011

The goodies are in!

Remember back when Montana Fly Company teamed up with OBN for a an awesome gear opportunity? (I know, happened more than once, and will probably happen again. The crowd at MFC are very generous.) Well, I was fortunate enough to be selected to try out the goods and give my thoughts. In yesterday's mail, the goods came. And man, are they good.

Pictured above are MFC's double ceramic tipped bobbin, all-purpose scissors, stacker, and fly box (all with their signature, stunning River Camo) as well as three varieties of tying thread.

Now, I happen to be a bit busy this coming week, so I'm calling this my "planning week." I have a trip in April to the Big Horn River in Montana and I'll need to fill the box, best I can, with the basics for that trip.

I've settled on BWOs, scuds, and midges. Now I need recipes. If you have any suggestions on sizes, or variations in color for the scuds, I'd love to hear the suggestions.

After the planning, I'll get to tying and give you all my official review including more details on the equipment.

My first impression is pretty straight forward: This is high quality tying gear with a stunning design that reminds you what you are working towards.

Talk soon.

2 comments:

  1. You. Stink. :)

    Let us know how the tools are! I'm always need a few more bobbins! :) CONGRATS AGAIN!

    ( I'm sure only your leaky waders actually stink. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere in the night, an Owl hoots. So thank you, Mr Owl, for the congratulatory hoot. My waders do have a tendency to be a little rank if I don't flip them inside and out when I dry them. I just figure I'm growing a nice colony of critters that will console my wet toes when I come home empty handed.

    I'll let you know how the stuff works. I can already tell you, the bobbin holds thread, the scissors cut, and they look pretty. So they pretty much accomplish all I'm looking for :).

    The flies might suck, but that isn't the gear's fault.

    ReplyDelete